Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What comes to mind...today!

So many things have crossed my mind on what I would like to blog about today. First off was my dads birthday was yesterday. If he were still alive he would have turned 88 yrs old. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Saula John Finau! I did name John John after him. It hit us (my sisters and I) that not one of us named a child after him. How sad is that?! So, when I became pregnant with John I knew I wanted to name my child after him. I am so grateful I did as I cannot see my boy as anyone BUT JOHN who is handsome, charming and smart like dad was!

Next on my mind is, why do I constantly sweat the small stuff? I really had hoped that with age this trait would somehow dissipate into thin air...umm no such luck! I wish I could get past things like...

bad service
high light bills
kids on the bus who make Johns life hell
dirty public restrooms
bad managers at work
muddy driveway and backyards
crappy tax returns
etc...

You get my point. In reading one of my all time favorite blogs right now, the blog author who is a widow in her 30's with 6 beautiful daughters all under the age of 10. Her last post was abut having a really rough "mourning" day. She writes all that she did that day and then says after finally losing it trying to assemble training wheels on one of her daughters bikes...

"This is my plug to you all to not sweat the small stuff. Talk yourself down from the ledge you want to jump off of and take a step back..or two, or three, to see what you've actually done. Training Wheels will not do me in today".

I hope you all get the point. I know that sometimes very stupid, mundane things create a big reaction from me, which is so unnecessary! So, I pledge to myself and myself only that I will try to do better. To not overreact and to try to sit and assess the situation before flipping out!

Another thing I have realized lately is, how very blessed I am to have a great husband. He is my one sure and true person in my life, who loves me irregardless of all of my imperfections! I don't want to turn this to an ode to Dan post however, I have found myself thinking about him throughout the day more and more. Not the, what am I going to cook Dan for dinner today kind of thoughts, more like, the way he said something to me today or how he made me feel when he held my hand in the car. His kindness, patience and love for me is something I could never REALLY blog about. Only because I don't think I could ever really put into words just how much I love him and how grateful I am to have him in my life...can you feel the sap oozing through your computer screen yet? Sorry just another thought I want to put out there!

Last thought of the day...who are your real friends? Do you really know? Not that I am questioning who mine are just a random thought. I look at the way others influence other people for the good and for the bad and, it blows my mind how someone can think that someone who is slowly dragging them down to hell is their true friend. What are they thinking? I know you can think of someone this has happened to. I think of my cousins son who is serving life in prison for murder, he tells me in one of his letters, how he wishes so badly he could have known the gang he associated with were NO GOOD for him. He didn't heed the advice of his loved ones to steer clear of the people. Instead, he insisted that he knew what he was doing and that they all needed to stay out of his business and his life. He regrets that so much as he sits in a prison cell everyday for the next 30 years. I would have to say choose wisely your friends and go to the right people that can point you ALWAYS in the right direction.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Lots of good advice today, Lyla. I feel your pain on the light bill. Ours almost brought me to tears this month. I'm ready for it to get warm, so I can stop running the heat. It's so true about choosing friends wisely. I am so thankful that I have good friends who lift me up and make me who I am.

P.S. If I am having twins, you're dead meat, sister! :)

Lyla And Company! said...

Such rambling...and I'm even more paranoid w/ all my grammatical errors in it with you reading it! hahahah! Wouldn't twins be so fun though?! hahaha! love you Katie

Dolly said...

Thanks for the advice...and I'm trying not to sweat the big stuff too. ♥ Doll'

Lyla And Company! said...

you know Dolly some of this stuff is big stuff Im just trying to keep it small and not worry to much about it! If I did the bus situation would be much different. I have stayed off the bus but I tell you its been hard! I just wanna choke somebody! hahahah! See, I need to just chill and back away from the ledge!