Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Home Going for Jalen...

What would you do if you lost your 3 year old son in a car accident? Now, fast forward about 3 1/2 years and you have a beautiful 20 month old son who dies of a virus. Sounds like a nightmare but, it really happened to my sweet friend Shon and her wonderful husband. They have an 11 year old daughter who has had to endure these tragedies as well!

If this happened to me I probably wouldn't be typing this blog because I believe I would be 6 feet under too! I attended the funeral of their oldest son James over 3 years ago and last Wednesday I went to cute Jalens funeral services or as stated in his program, his home going.

The funerals (both of them) were unlike anything I have ever experienced. They were more of a joyful celebration of life. Their was alot of singing and praising God. The thing that struck me most was the fact that Shon and James Sr. are two of the strongest and most faithful people I have ever met. They seem to have a deeper understanding then I could even dream of having or just an amazing amount of faith.

One of the preachers said that with every tragedy comes a greater blessing...what greater blessing could there be? I mean think about it, they have lost 2 sons while just toddlers so tragically and unexpectedly! I cannot imagine what could be the blessing behind this nor, do I ever want to! I NEVER WANT TO BE IN THEIR POSITION...NEVER! DID YOU HEAR ME? NEVER!

I imagine that when we were standing in line in the pre-existence to receive our gifts and talents, that I was off gorging at the chocolate fountain when it came time for me to get my dose of courage, strength and endurance. In fact, I probably missed that line on purpose and maybe even slipped a note to Heavenly Father begging Him to please never test me in that way!

The other thing I did take away from the home going service for Jalen was that, even though these people and I did not really worship the same way, we did share a common LOVE for our Savior, Jesus Christ. I believe as they do that God lives that He is very aware of us and our needs!

I felt very grateful after the funeral to be a mother to my children. I held onto John John so tightly as the family came in and as I looked at the tiny casket with Jalen inside wearing a baseball cap, I ran my fingers through John John's hair and felt his warm skin and kissed him gently, wiping my tears I offered up a silent prayer of gratitude to Heavenly Father, for giving me yet another day with my baby.

No comments: