Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Forgive Me Please!

I watched the movie Blindside last night with my sister Wynnie, and although this was her umpteenth time watching it she still cried right along with me. I must say, I ENJOYED it immensely! To even blog about it should tell you that.

Anyways, there is a line in the movie that just was very poignant and thought provoking. In a scene where the parents who took Michael Oher in, Sandra Bullock plays the wife and she is worried about his past family life. She conveys those concerns to her husband played by Tim McGraw he replies, "Michael's greatest gift, is his ability to forget".

That made me think of when you correct a child, you may scold him or may even have to pop his hand if he is going to do something to hurt himself. Then immediately after you do that, the child goes back into your arms and cries for comfort. Children are so quick to forgive and forget.

I reflected on how many times the "ball has been in my corner" to forgive and FORGET. I was ashamed at how many times I haven't but, on the other hand I am amazed at how many times I have. Have you ever been able to forget about a time when someone has really wronged you? Have you ever turned the other cheek and NEVER turned it back again?

There was a time when a good friend of mine was offended by something(s) I said. They were always in jest and never meant to hurt her, if I even remotely knew they were I would have stopped immediately and apologized right away. I thought we were tight like that...know what I mean? Anyways, I was stopped one Sunday by the executive secretary at church and he told me my bishop wanted to see me the following tuesday. I wondered what new church calling I may have and to tell you the truth I was a bit excited and anxious to meet with him. Tuesday evening came and I went in completely unaware of what was going to happen. He proceeded to tell me that my friend went to see him to have him talk to me about my comments made to her. I was blown away! Literally blown away! I sat in there listening to things I said teasingly, even lovingly be turned into rude and mean comments. I couldn't believe she had totally misunderstood me and my jokes. I was mad, I was offended, I was OVER IT!

Now, she has forgiven me (or so she says) and I have kind of forgiven her. I just can't seem to get past the going to the bishop to complain to him about my jokes thing! So, I want this gift of forgetting like Michael Oher has. I want to get past this...but, I can't. I am very careful and guarded when I am around her, I am so not comfortable anymore with her. I feel like she is okay with me but that she has totally disregarded my feelings. I think now that she gotten "her way" she's fine and thinks I should be to. But. I. Am. Not.

How do I forget about this all and let our friendship be what it once was? I really don't know.

No comments: