Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"There's no place like home"

I saw my grand babies last night and as usual they made me laugh and covered me with kisses, as I did them! It was so good to hug, feel and breathe them in! I asked Donnie if he wanted to sleep over my house, he says with a bit of hesitation, "Ummm I got no pajamas at your house Nana". I knew full well he had no interest in sleeping over and that he just wanted to be home with his family.

This made me think of a time waaayyy back when I cried hard to my mom to go to Florida with my cousins after Annie and Dave's wedding. After much pleading from my cousin Ginger and I she finally agreed. I literally had no time to pack so I left with just my clothes on my back and 1 other outfit in a bag. My aunt told mom she'd take care of my needs.

As I climbed into the back of my uncles truck with a huge cab on it with Ginger, we were giggling with excitement. Before we were even out of town (and I mean literally just about 3 miles down the road), I felt the lump in my throat and pangs in my heart for my mommy! However, I knew after all that begging and crying I would be so embarrassed to ask my Uncle along with the 25 other people and 4 other cars to stop and turn around just to drop me off! But, now in hindsight OHHHHH how I wish I did!

This was absolutely the worst summer of my life! Little did I know that my cousin Ginger was only sticking around with me for a few days! Yup, all that crying to play with her for just a few days! This was the reason I even wanted to go to Florida! But, my sweet Ginger left...and I was there with Loni and we stayed at another uncles house. He had 6 kids (I think) at the time, they were so beautiful and fun but, you add 2 more to that mix and it can be chaos. My aunt just wasn't "UP" to watching 2 more kids! I guess I can't blame her now but at the time she was just not very nice to us...especially me! We did go to Disney World and I got to sell fruits and veggies w/ my uncle one day.

This isn't why I'm blogging about this though, I'm not here to bash my aunt. I just couldn't help but, remember the many times I have called my mom from a friends house around midnight crying to go home. I always thought it would be more fun at someones house with their cool toys, tv's and other things but, after all the fun was over and it was time for bed, I didn't want to stay! I was ready for home and mom, period! Nothing could make me stay.

I love that my home was that precious and sweet to me as a child. I love that it is to Donnie today (his home that is)! I love that cool things don't make the house. I love that the cool people in it do! I love that no matter how far away I am from my mommy, I can still call her and receive that measure of comfort that only moms can offer. I love that my kids have done the same thing with me! I love my home and I love going there everyday!

1 comment:

Kassie said...

Hi Lyla.. thank you for your kind words..I will for sure send my Dad the message! We are thrilled and very grateful. I'm glad we have the blogging world to keep in touch.. :) I always see Dahni and Rosie keeping in touch with you and it's nice to finally 'meet' you via internet.. gotta love it!

You have a beautiful family!! xoxo