Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lose-Lose Situation

When I am not being a "gone postal" mail carrier, I either moonlight on stage emceeing our shows or, I substitute teach for our local county schools. I have only subbed for middle and high school classes and I must say its been enlightening...to say the VERY least!

I have taught language arts, music, Spanish, English and EC. For those who have been out of the loop for awhile EC stands for Exceptional Children. I always envisioned these classes to be filled with sweet children who are handicapped, or sweet kids who just needed extra help. Well it does have its share of those sweet kids. Then there are the...oh how do I say this and sound civil...THUGS, PUNKS, kids who the regular class teachers have somehow "deemed EC" to get out of their class. You know what I mean, the 18 year olds in 10th grade type of student. The one that doesn't want to work or contribute to society in any way! Yes, yes, yes these kids are in these classes by the dozens! These kids are here to avoid being home or going to work. They are here taking up space, corrupting the good kids, interrupting classwork time, stressing teachers out, and most importantly (especially w/ the economic situation we are in now) wasting precious tax dollars!

Why are they still in school? I am trying hard to figure this out. They eat free lunch, they destroy school property, their lazy and make a teacher want to break a law! I sure wish paddling was still in force. These kids need a good ol' fashioned Tongan beating! Not by me of course but, by their parents or whoever is raising them (Bless their hearts)!

Don't get me wrong, their all not thuggish punks...some are so sweet and ARE here to try hard and succeed in life. I just find it comical that they are paying me to babysit a bunch of kids who get nothing out of school and the school gets nothing out of them...its just seems like a lose-lose situation!

No comments: