Friday, February 19, 2010

AA=Amazing and Awesome!

While working yesterday I ran into a girl I used to work with, she was outside doing some yard work and I was delivering her mail. As we were catching up with each other and life she shared with me that she had gone through rehab for alcoholism.

To say I was shocked would be a total understatement, but to say I ever thought that she had a problem that intense would be. You see, where we worked in an upscale office environment, the manager would buy bottles of alcohol at 4pm to bring down to us girls to help us unwind before the day was over at 6. Yes, you heard me right, the manager encouraged drinking alcohol on the job. It was his way of saying, "Thanks girls for all your hard work". They were always clueless why I wouldn't have just 1 glass of wine with them. They knew I was Mormon but how could 1 glass of wine hurt me?

I do remember thinking that sometimes this was really out of hand. They were never drunk off their rockers but I believe they had a "buzz" before they left. I often thought how wrong it was that they were getting behind the wheel like that. It was hard at times to sit there and watch and listen to their alcohol induced rantings about this or that...they always seemed a bit more gutsy (for a lack of a better word) when they had a few drinks in them.

So, to see my friend and to hear of her triumphant win against this horrible disease was such, "GOOD NEWS"!! All, I could say to her over and over again was, I'm sooo proud of you! She quit that job, and I'm not saying that job was her reason for her disease, I'm just saying it DIDN'T help. She told me she was drinking a bottle of vodka a day. She was hiding bottles everywhere, in her car, yard, house...anywhere her husband couldn't find them.

She had a sponsor upon completion of her rehab and now she sponsors 3 people in their fight to get sober. She attends meetings all the time, she speaks at different functions and she is happier and healthier then ever! In this world of so much bad news and negativity I felt so inclined to share some "GOOD NEWS" on my blog.

2 comments:

Dolly said...

I know that I jump for joy when I hear good news like this. My natural mother died of alcoholism when I was just two years old. My whole world (and my sister's) turned upside down because of her addiction to this self-medicating. *Her own mother had died giving birth to her...so I know she was lonely. Luckily, I was able to do her temple work and she is on to a bigger and better life!

My RM is slowly adjusting also... I'm frustrated because he's dating his best-friend's 16yr old sister! I can hardly understand the whole strange fascination he has for her.

Lyla And Company! said...

Oh Dolly that is wonderful that you did her work. You are such an inspiration to me and I can't wait to meet you someday soon.

Just let Cam do his thing and he will sort it all out. Loni Anne has no interest right now in dating exclusively, she just wants to go to school and date but she doesn't want anything serious yet...hahaha..we shall see, because what the Lord wants and what she wants can be 2 very different things...