Sunday, November 30, 2008

What was I thinking?

On Thanksgiving day after we ate way too much, we decided to go to a movie. Our son in law Brooks, brought the babies over and so with all the different ages and taste in movies we decided to seperate into 3 groups. Dan and Brooks would go watch Transporter. The teenagers would go to Four Christmases and I would take
John John (7) Donnie (4) and Lyla (2) to watch Bolt.

So, I get a large popcorn and drink and the movie starts. It is really cute by the way and I would suggest it to anyone.

About 1/2 way through the large bag of popcorn, Lyla is trying to take it away from Donnie and in the course of that it spills all over our row. She looks at me immediately and says, "Dorry" and hugs my neck. How do you get mad over that? John John and Donnie are not so amused and wanted more popcorn!

Ten minutes later John John is literally slurping the very last of the drink and was making too much noise. I tell him to stop that and open the lid to drink some more. He does and as he is making more noise with the ice, the VERY large cup is too big for his hands and slips and spills all over the row on top of our popcorn! He quickly looks at me and says, "Sorry Mom"! Donnie and Lyla were very upset as they were still thirsty!

By this time Lyla is tired of my lap and promises to be a good girl. So, I put her in the chair next to me. She sits for about 5 minutes and I think she is secretly watching me to know when I will not be paying any attention to her because, to my surprise she was up out of her seat and in the row in front of us. She is smiling at me and going to each seat and putting the seat down and then slamming them up! She proceeds to do this to 3 seats down the row, I am trying not to make a big scene to grab her but, how can you NOT, when you are climbing over a 7 and 4 year old, totally engrossed in the movie and yelling MOVE MOM, MOVE NANA! I am stepping all over popcorn and ice making loud crunchy noises and the whole time Lyla is just a giggling slamming seat cushions up and down! Meanwhile, the other movie goers are all taking turns looking at the crazy lady who can't control her crazy children.

I finally get Lyla in my control and put her back in my lap and tell her to NOT move nor make a sound! And, I meant it! About 10 minutes later I felt my leg get all warm, then I felt it get all wet! NO WAY!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe she just peed on me! But, she did! I take her out of the theatre and tell John John I'll be right back. I have to go to the theatre Dan and Brooks are in to find Brooks to get his keys, to go to his car to get a diaper! All the while Lyla is walking like a bow-legged cowboy! People in the lobby are just cracking up! We run to the car and I hit the wrong button and the alarm starts going off! Lyla is saying "Uh Oh Nana"! We finally get into the car, do our thing and luckily there were some spare pants in there for her. I am also panicking because I have visions of Donnie and John John screaming and crying because I am not in there and the whole theatre crowd trying to comfort them. Luckily, they were fine.

When we walked up to the door of our theatre, Lyla started to resist me a bit and was moving her head back as I opened the door and it hit her on the back of the head. Obviouly, she starts screaming and once again the movie goers all look at me. I am closing the door but notice John John coming towards me. I whisper to him to sit down as I am comforting Lyla. He tells me he has to go to the bathroom, and now! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell him to quickly go to the restroom and I will stand in the hall and wait and watch for him. **NOTE TO ALL** I have NEVER let him go to a public bathroom alone! So, now I am panicking! I shut the doors to watch John but, I know I am close to Donnie so he should be fine right? No, he sees us all leave and yells in the middle of the movie, "Nana wait"! and runs out!

Well, finally John John comes out and we sheepishly return to the theatre but take the back row and sit quietly for the remainder of the movie, which was about 20 minutes! Afterwards, the guys came out of their movie just smiling and having fun, the teenagers came out of theirs smiling and having fun! I, on the other hand, have a wet leg, a baby with boo boo on her head because of me! And, the babies are so mad at me because I will not let them go for anything! But, I survived and it made for a very memorable turkey day! i just have to ask..."What was I thinking"?!

4 comments:

Dolly said...

We are hoping something good comes out for Christmas Day :) I keep checking out videos instead of paying an arm and a leg!

Katharine Wolfgramm Wilson said...

Oh Lyla...I can sooo relate...cause thats what happened to us when Kingston was about 3 and Zion was just born...it was like a circus show..one thing after another..so unless it's a MUST-see movie,it's usually a Blockbuster night most of the time now...too funny...glad you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!love ya

Anonymous said...

Oh Lyla,
What were you thinking!!! I laughed so hard at your blog entry, but I would have never been so brave. Next time, check out a good DVD and stay at home!

Bless your heart!
Joy

snow said...

I am reading this a week or so late, but having such fun picturing this scenario! I think you all were more entertaining than the movie!